Pages

Thursday 8 March 2012

The Story of Stuff

The Story of Stuff is a video that I heard of a long time ago, but never thought to search YouTube for, and therefore didn't see until now.  I think it is brilliant! Everyone should see it.  I'll be watching it again many times.  Annie Leonard does a great job of presenting (I recently did a presenting to camera course and would be quite stoked to do it like her) and the cartooning really helps the mind be engaged for the whole time!  I felt it brought a lot of things I knew and put them into a big-picture package.  It freaks me out how big the problem is, and how much damage has been done, but considering I'd like to teach my children about nature one day I'd like for those statistics not to be much worse than they are now! I'd be so embarrassed if they were - not that it's my fault, but I'd still be apologetic in the same way you can be sad for anyone else on anything that's unfortunate for them.  I can accept how it is now, and am optimistic.  The challenge of reversing these unacceptable trends is something that excites me, and the wide variety of industries and processes where sustainable practice is required is another bonus, because it means that I can live a life of variety (which my broad interest base requires) whilst always working towards the same purpose.

1 comment:

  1. Totally coincidentally, it turns out that today was the viral breakthrough of the Invisible Children Kony 2012 video... and I can't help but point out that the makers of that video are advocating for an empathic civilization, via the power of social media. It makes me think of the NZ group of young change-makers I volunteer for (Generation Zero) and their call for action against rapid climate change - similar to Australias organisation AYCC and the global movement 350.org ... add in thoughts on the Arab Spring and the Occupy movement, wow, the citizens are in motion all over! Empathy is out there it seems, and social media is its microphone.

    ReplyDelete