Pages

Thursday 8 March 2012

Falling in love with Wanaka

First step, a 5 day block course in Wanaka to get to know the Centre for Sustainable Practice and the other students.  Here are some excerpts from the reflective notes I jotted down during the week:

I really liked our creative reflections exercises; I noticed that it's been a long time since I've attempted to be creative!  We introduced ourselves to each other quite a few times and in different ways, whilst I was always open I could tell that the telling of life events wasn't helping others get to know me as much as specific stories.  It's often easy to bumble around on logical stuff, when just jumping in with a particular aspect of yourself can give a much more accurate representation.  I come away thinking: I need to practice describing myself and expressing myself in the way I wish to be known, thereby not limiting it to my current situation as my definition.  

On day 2 we visited some local sites and also learned more about some of the larger projects a few other students already have in mind, that was really inspiring!   I went for a run after class and ended up on top of Mt Iron and got a fantastic view over the whole region, a breathtaking sight!  I feel very connected to this place already (the idea of what kaitiakitanga is based on comes to mind).  A lot of the space looks like a blank canvas still, full of potential.  There's a lot of space like that out there in the world.  It made me think that my next important steps will be to keep refining my interests so that I can commit to my first brush strokes.

My favourite and most memorable experience of the week was going for a swim in the lake.  It was comfortably warm (once in) and so crystal clear!  The rocks sparkled as if made of every metal and rock type and the mountains provided a calm horizon.  It sparked more thoughts of:  this is worth protecting and fighting for - dedicating my time to (purpose)! and this course is what I want to be doing right now (it allows for so much autonomy)! and I want to get really good at this (mastery)!  with lots of evidence by the end of the year to have a good base to continue doing this work that I am learning over and over and over.




No comments:

Post a Comment