Pages

Monday 19 March 2012

HOME

I may or may not have watched this movie before... I think it's my second time and I felt compelled to do what I think I did last time, which is fast forward continuously between watching snippets to get the drift of the overall story.  It's definitely got some amazing scenery shots, always from way up high like a god's point of view (or a very highflying bird!), with a very slow narration that either grates me or puts me to sleep.  Perhaps if I hadn't already learned a lot of the information before and if I was in the right mood I'd be able to watch it seriously, because it is a very serious movie.  It's got a very environmentalist-movement tone, soon after preaching the magnificence of nature it goes on to point out all of the popular problems humans have created within our biosphere, which is seriously depressing.  I think it's good someone made this movie, its great to put our history into perspective and for visualization; but we need some others to follow it up quickly!

There was one snippet I really got something from, about 13 minutes in, where birds are being observed and the question is posed "what do we know of the bonds that link them?", which made me think back to one of my classes at University and the way we were taught to measure animal behaviour... and I thought 'reductionist thinking isn't necessarily going to tell us'.  When I think back to all the people I've heard of who have made the greatest and most celebrated strides in learning about another species, they were always the ones who immersed themselves in that species life, e.g. Jane Goodall, which is quite a holistic way.

Anyway, if I haven't put you off too much, which wasn't my intention, here you can watch the whole 90 minutes of HOME.

No comments:

Post a Comment